Sunday, January 18, 2009

Copper Mare...New Art...finally!


I don't know why exactly, but it's been a very long time since I've sat down to do more art. I suppose between the holidays + other 'life's' happenings, I've had little desire to paint or draw.

So, Finally a new piece from me...a 11" x 14" pastel work, modeled after (now don't laugh) a very black Friesian mare I once owned. Nellie was not this lovely shade of coppery chestnut, nor did she have a speck of white on her, but her body type was just as I've depicted. She was definitely a baroque horse, every last little CHUNK of her.

I came across a photo I took of her many years ago, in our back pasture, having a grand ole time...galloping around, carefree and happy. Loved that mare. She gave us a beautiful colt too, sired by Ludse. The stallion 'Ludse' has since been exported back to the Netherlands.

I hope you enjoy this work...more will be on the way. I am a member of A4C, otherwise known as 'Art for Critters'. A portion of the proceeds of this work will go to benefit SCER, the S.Carolina Equine Rescue. Art available on eBay currently.

17 comments:

Kathleen Coy said...

This is stunning!!! I love the horses coloring, even if it wasn't Nellie's. I don't know much about the history of Friesians...were they war horses? This one looks very sturdy. :-)

Ingrid said...

Thank you very much Kathleen!

Nellie was solid black and built like a tank. She also had a heart of gold and was very 'talkative'. Everytime she saw me she'd start to nicker softly.

Purebred Friesians (in order to be registered with FHANA) are allowed a small white star on their forehead, but no other white markings.

The traditional Friesian is a rather 'buff' looking horse. Definitely one to carry a warrior into battle.

Some breeders today are producing a leaner and lighter Friesian. They are all beautiful, but I tend to prefer the older style myself.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

Beautiful Ingrid! I love the colors, so rich looking!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Spectacular!!! Really beautiful little piece Ingrid. I love the movement in this one. Well done.
~Melody

Linda said...

Hi Ingrid!
There is wonderful action and movement in this painting! It's my first visit to your blog, lovely work!

Ingrid said...

Thank you Gail...it was easier to make the coat in a color other than black. I'm not as skilled in using shades of black as you! =0)

Thanks so much Mel! I appreciate the kind words. I'm glad the illusion of movement came through some. =0)

Linda!! I'm so happy you've visited. Thank you for the nice compliments too. I enjoy following your work. It always cheers me up! =0)

gtyyup said...

It's beautiful...really love the colors and the movement~~

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

This gorgeous! Great job!

Ingrid said...

Thank you very much...I enjoyed working on this piece! =0)

Pencil Sanity said...

This is very lovely and the movement is captured so nicely. Very nice.

Linda said...

WOW Ingrid,Well worth the wait, dont make us wait so long next time.Your arts always a treat.
Lindax & Poppyx

Ingrid said...

Thank you Maria =0)
Thank you Linda =0)
Oh yes, and Poppy too! =0)

Danielle Barlow said...

This is a beautiful painting Ingrid! And I'm most impressed with those gorgeous socks in the last post!

Ingrid said...

Thank you very much for the kind words Danielle! =0)

artbyakiko said...

This is absolutely beautiful, Ingrid! I love how the background is blurred to bring focus on this running horse, which is done excellently.

Ingrid said...

Akiko...your very nice comments mean alot to me. Thank you so much!! =0)

10 COLORADO said...

Beautiful, I love horses!!!!

Fantastic painting, thanks!!!!

Wishing you the best!!!