Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ahh...growing up in the 60's & 70's


Patrick McGoohan, the creator and star of the late 1960s television series "The Prisoner" died yesterday after a brief illness, aged 80.

I loved that show! Gosh, when I stop to think of how many of my favorite entertainers have passed away during the past year...well, it's a bit disconcerting!


Just a few that have recently died:

Charlton Heston (Ten Commandments), Paul Newman (Cool Hand Luke), Suzanne Pleshette (The Bob Newhart Show), Roy Scheider (Jaws) , Heath Ledger (Brokeback Mountain), Dick Martin (Laugh In), Harvey Korman (The Carol Burnett Show), Majel Barrett (Star Trek), Bill Melendez (Cartoonist~Charlie Brown) and just today...Ricardo Montalban of Fantasy Island.

It's like having a tiny part of yourself disappear. No, I didn't know any of them personally, but I did invest myself emotionally in their movie, stage and TV show personas. Some I even had a crush on...heck I was in my early to mid teens at the time. Who didn't go 'ga-ga' over one of the Beatles or a handsome leading man on the silver screen? Bonanza, Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Wild, Wild West to name a few were awesome shows! Their characters had scruples. You know: honesty, integrity and a dose of humour tossed in for good measure. There wasn't a gory murder scene or disgusting expletive appearing every 10 seconds. No obligatory nudity. Anyway, I digress....

I'm reminded of how quickly time passes with news like this. It's a gauge of my own mortality. OK...so that was depressing. Forgive my ranting, I'm getting old. LOL

****** "Be seeing you #6" ~ RIP Patrick ******

4 comments:

Kathleen Coy said...

I know what you mean, it is a weird feeling...I guess they seem larger than life in a way, especially if you have childhood memories...

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

Patrick McGoohan was one of my favorites, loved the Prisoner! I know what you mean by parts of you slowly dying along with our childhood favorites. It's a slap of mortality reminding us we too are stepping closer to the end.

gtyyup said...

You are so right...I know I get so caught up in "today" that I almost forget about the future...where will we be in 1, 5, 10, 20 years...

But I also say live while you can~~

I have admit that I didn't know that any of those people had died. We don't have TV and don't listen to much news on the radio...I leave myself too far out of touch sometimes. Glad you shared.

Linda said...

I Was in Love with 'Napolean Solo', at the age of 11yrs, he made my heart flutter.Lindax